Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day!


Well Valentine's Day came and went just like every other day. Like everything else, in Japan, Valentine's Day is celebrated in a completely different way then the rest of the world! Here, on Valentine's Day ladies are expected to give the men in their lives (including colleges, friends, family members, etc.) chocolates and men are not expected to give any gifts. However, on the 3rd of March, they celebrate White Valentine's day which is also known as Woman's day. On this day, men are expected to reciprocate with gifts that are more expensive than the chocolates they received. The chocolate given to a boyfriend or husband is called honmeicyoko whilst that given to a man friend or superior in the company is called giricyoko. All supermarkets and departments stores dedicate large section of their shops for chocolate displays, offering a large variety of chocolates.

However, Western traditions die hard and I got given a present anyways ( I got flowers too!)!   I got to watch Cirque du Soleil at Disney Land, which was truly amazing. The show was fantastic and I'm completely in love with the whole Disney Land resort which is like one big fairy tale. Here, one can find Tokyo Disney Land, Tokyo Disney Sea, Ikspiari shopping mall, plenty of hotels and the Cirque du Soleil theater. This is the only theater to be built solely for the  Cirque du Soleil performances and I have to admit the stage is truly a mechanical dream. They don't allow for any photos to be taken during the performances but visit the website to see how amazing the acts are! (http://www.zed.co.jp/home_en.php)

At work, one lady in our unit collected money from all of us and bought all the men a box of chocolate. The team leaders and our unit director got given bigger and fancier boxes of chocolate. However, the 14th was a Monday and plenty of work needed to get done! A television crew came to Mitsui Chemicals to tape the procedures carried out in the laboratories. Since I'm the only foreigner in the Mobara unit of the company, they spent plenty of time filming me carrying out different procedures. The clip will air on the 22nd of February and we'll have to see if they edit me out. It was an interesting experience to see how Japanese TV stations carry out their filming outside of the studio. Although, after spending a few evening watching Japanese television I have realized that they have an immense love for filming programs about Japanese food, European countries, soap operas, news and some of the most random subjects imaginable.

This week has also reminded me how caring and immensely helpful Japanese people are. The charger for my laptop broke over the weekend and I couldn't use it. Yesterday, I took the charger to work to ask my team members if I could buy a replacement in Mobara. One of my team- members offered to drive me around Mobara after work to look for one. We tried the three largest department stores in town and couldn't find one that was compatible. So, he then drove me home, waited till I wrote down all of my computer's specifications, went home and found one on the internet. This morning he informed me about the price, showed me the picture and this evening he is going to buy it. It will arrive in three days. However, he was stressing as it meant spending three days without a laptop. So, he went around the unit asking people to check their laptop chargers, found me one which was compatible and got Sakai-San (another member of the unit) to lend it to me till I get my new one. Thus, tonight I sit here in my room blogging on a fully functional laptop. This is what the people I work with are like. Every time I need something they try their best to help me out in whatever way they can. In the last two months, there very been numerous occasions where they have completely outdid any expectations I've had. It really helps to have such amazing, helpful people around me. Japan is not an easy place to survive but the Japanese people definitely make it a lot easier and more enjoyable. Also, I've been invited to my first young people's nomikai! This is a drinking party in which everyone gets completely wasted and blows off some steam! I must admit I am rather excited!

One last thing...a small piece of personal sharing...today is a special day for me. On the 15th of February 2008 my older sister was involved in a car accident and spent four days in a coma fighting for her life. I must admit that was the scariest, most horrifying experience I have ever been through and I'm glad we all came out alive, stronger and more determined to make the most out of life. I love you Nikki more and more each day. I thank God every day for being on your side and giving you the strength to pull through and continue to light up my life with your smile and warm my heart with your love.

My one and only Sis

I love you xxx

1 comment:

  1. Sweet post...my fixing for the adapter didn't work out? You should ask for a refund!

    Glad you're enjoying your work there...I miss you down here! I was going to say that it would have been great if you had come to Kansai last weekend, but the pictures of your homestay are soo cool...kind of envy you for your host family.

    I met some people traveling these weekends, and maybe I got a homestay in Kyushu....we'll see.
    The ski resort seems really great...how come you didn't try skiing?

    ReplyDelete